Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Making A Difference

What does “Making A Difference” really mean?  Is it something you can “do on purpose” or is it “serendipitous”, or a combination of both  I want to share my experience that perhaps answers those questions.  When I was a sixth grade teacher each year in January and February all of the 6th grade students came together and learned the songs and dialog of an historical musical that we would present at the PTA’s Founder’s Day program at the end of February.  We went all out and with the help of parents, teachers, and other volunteers, each year we created a background setting, props and costumes for the kids.  We practiced Monday through Thursday for 1 hour every day, and each of the teachers worked on some aspect of the program.  The night of the performance was always very special and a packed crowd of parents and other family enjoyed watching their student participate in this elaborate play.
Many years after I had moved from the classroom into administration, I was getting my car watched and a young man came up to me asking, “Do you remember me?  You changed my life?”  Wow!  The fact of the matter is that I did remember him—or at least knew he was one of the boys in a large family.  I asked him to refresh my memory, and as soon as he stated his name, I knew which of the brothers he was.  I asked, “Just curious, how did I change your life?”  This is what he told me: 

“Do you remember the musical we did when I was in 6th grade?  Well, I was supposed to be a colonist and I told you that my parents weren’t able to get a costume for me.  You said, ‘That’s okay.  We’ll figure it out.”
I was a bit perplexed because I couldn’t see how this would make the difference.  It is the response I would have given to any youth who was struggling with a costume.  So I asked, “How did that change your life?”  His response, “At that moment I knew that I mattered, that I was important.  So I’ve been working to live up to my destiny ever since.”
We continued the conversation and he shared his current successes.  But what struck me was that something small can make such a difference—life changing difference.  It was something that I didn’t even remember, but yet had been a guiding light for this young man.  I believe that this is what “making a difference” is really about.  Doing what is right and then letting the seed be cultivated and nurtured, and voila, a difference is made.

Please join with Entrusted Legacy in making a difference in the lives of youth and the adults who work with them.  A little from a lot of committed people can make a difference in the lives of youth everywhere.  Entrust your legacy with us.  Contact us at support@entrustedlegacy.org, by calling (661) 322-3437, or going on line at www.entrustedlegacy.org and donating now!

No comments:

Post a Comment