Friday, February 28, 2014

The Ultimate Question

Fred Reichheld wrote a business book entitled The Ultimate Question.  In this book he says the ultimate question is “would you recommend this (product, service) to others?”  He’s right!  It really doesn’t matter what you are talking about—restaurant to vacation spot, doctor or attorney, a firsthand experience or a cause, if you would unequivocally recommend it to others, then you had a good experience. 
So it is fair to ask, why are we at Entrusted Legacy wanting to share our very gratifying experience in supporting youth workers with you? 
Is it because of the words of Margaret Mead when she says:  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."  The answer is YES! We believe we can make a difference.  But that’s only part of the reason. 
Maybe it is the words of Arne Duncan who tell us, "If we are serious about having more students be productive citizens, if we are serious about having more students prepared to be successful in college, dramatically improving the quality and the quantity of after-school programming is going to be at the heart of our work as a country."  Again the answer is YES!  We believe that afterschool programs can provide a much-needed difference in a child’s life.   But it too is only part of the reason. 
The words of Mead and Duncan have certainly propelled us forward, but it is the words of people who have actually benefitted from the training and staff development that most resonate with us.  Here are the words that matter most to us. 
 “There is not a day that goes by that I don’t reflect on the training I received to help me with a management situation or improve my lesson presentation. The training has helped me feel more confident in my ability to support students, interact with the staff on campus and build positive relationships with the families.”
 “I can’t tell you how important it is for me to have access to training 24/7.  I can go back and review information when I get confused and this empowers me to offer stronger learning opportunities for kids.”
“In addition to benefiting professionally, my training has helped me in my personal life as well. When you are dealing with people it’s all about communication, communication, communication and I feel I have improved the way I communicate with my husband, family, friends, and even my own children. I think back to the countless hours of youth development training each time my four year old “creatively” dresses herself for school or my two year old wants to “help” feed the dogs. The training I received was invaluable and I am often reminded of how lucky I was to have been able to be a part of it.”
"I began working in after-school programming when I was 16. It was my first job and I really did not know what to expect working with kids.  I was able to learn various classroom management techniques and gain valuable experience in the classroom. As I became more confident in my abilities and gained program experience I moved up the after-school ladder and became a Site Coordinator. As a Site Coordinator I learned a lot about doing things for others and truly enjoyed creating a safe, fun environment for kids. I feel my time in after school has helped me be a better person and a better parent."

Please join with Entrusted Legacy in promoting high-quality training for role models and mentors who work with youth in afterschool programs.  If you are not able to work directly with youth to support them as a role model and mentor, then support someone who is.  Invest in the future by investing with Entrusted Legacy.  Contact us at support@entrustedlegacy.org or by going to our website at www.entrustedlegacy.org  

No comments:

Post a Comment